I’m an avid reader, with a tremendous appreciation for how so many books have greatly impacted my life. But there are certain books that are transformational—they either bring the most important things into crystal clear focus, or take us to new places that we absolutely must go.
These books may not get the notoriety of Christianity Today’s or Amazon’s Top 100 Lists, but I guarantee they will all rock your world!
1. How Jesus Saves the World from Us: 12 Antidotes to Toxic Christianity by Morgan Guyton
The Pharisees had the Scriptures but had created a religious culture that kept the common folks from God—have we done the same today? This book is ripping me up right now!
2. Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle
Los Angeles gang members’ hearts get melted by the raw love of God—I cried through the whole book. Read my review here.
3. The Seven Mountain Renaissance: Vision and Strategy through 2050 by Johnny Enlow
A prophetic, insightful and hopeful view of the glorious Bride God is forming us into and how this maturing Church will be powerfully impacting all aspects of culture by 2050. Read my review here.
4. Speaking of Jesus: The Art of Not-Evangelism by Carl Medearis
Whether talking to a Hezbollah terrorist or a gay activist, Carl convinces us that Jesus would rather hang out with them than visit Carl’s church! Read my review here.
“Jesus is perfect theology,” Bill states, then gives us a “mind-makeover” to step into a supernatural life with Him.
6. Praying for Strangers: An Adventure of the Human Spirit by River Jordan
What if every day we took time to stop and pray for a stranger? River Jordan did, and it changed her life. Read my review here.
7. Mother Teresa: Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta by Mother Teresa
Mother Teresa’s personal letters and thoughts reveal long struggles in the darkness, along with a determination to see Jesus in the face of the dying and “offer Jesus my smile.
8. Culture of Honor: Sustaining a Supernatural Environment by Danny Silk
A revolutionary book on moving from punishment-based discipline to honor-based relationships without fear. Read my review here.
9. Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life by Richard Rohr
For those over 30, the second-half of life requires a new way of thinking, and Rohr is a brilliant guide.
10. Ruthless Trust: The Ragamuffin’s Path to God by Brennan Manning
Walking through darkness, taking risks, releasing our need for clarity—all these require deeper levels of trust—not in Biblical principles, but in a faithful Father who is completely trustworthy.
Click on any book below to buy it for yourself or a friend, or add it to your Wish List for your next birthday or Christmas gift! You’ll never be the same.